August, 2015: The first annual BBQ, Blues & Brews event offering music, food and support for a worthy cause is being held today at the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame Outdoor Pavilion. The event will raise funds and awareness of Zach’s Place one of the programs offered by the non-profit organization Special Kids Special Families. The program is one of only two licensed, day-care providers in the state of Colorado with the focus and training to provide both respite and day care for children with mental, physical and emotional disabilities.
- Event: BBQ, Blues & Brews – Music and Food Festival
- 4PM – 9PM; Friday August 14, 2015
- Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame – Outdoor Pavilion; 101 Pro Rodeo Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80919
- Free parking is available at the event
- $10 entrance donation supports the Special Kids Special Families’ Zach’s Place Program
Three local area bands have donated their performances in support of the Program, including The 1 Fifty 1 Band, King Mattress and the Box Springs, and Justus League. The evening offers food and BBQ vendors Dickey’s BBQ, Rocky Mountain BBQ, Floppy Hat Catering, Vera’s Coffee Coach, Josh & Johns Ice Cream as well as a selection of beers from local breweries Bristol and Pikes Peak Brewing Company as well as specialty cocktails and moonshine from 3 Hundred Days of Shine.
Event organizers expect a good sized turnout for the event with such notable bands and breweries in attendance. “This is will be a fun time for everyone to enjoy some great music and good food,” said event chair Aaron Horn. “We have a beautiful venue and a lovely summer evening combined to support a truly valuable organization that has a dramatic effect on our community.”
The event itself is sponsored by a number of Colorado Springs community businesses including, ENT, Springs Rescue Mission, The Springs Funeral Services, Cushman & Wakefield, ANB Bank, Farmers Insurance, The Colorado Springs Independent, and a live remote from 98.1 KKFM.
About Special Kids Special Families (SKSF): a non-profit umbrella organization with several unique programs designed to support people with disabilities of all ages from early childhood through adult as well as their families and caregivers.
SKSF offers three main programs including:
- The Child and Family Services Program that encompasses Zach’s Place, which is the only licensed child care facility in the Pikes Peak Region with the focus and training to provide day care and respite services to children with disabilities;
- Adult Services offering day programs and Host Home opportunities for adults; and
- SKSF Child Placement Agency considered a “go-to” agency for foster and adoption placement for children with disabilities.
For more information about SKSF, call 719/447-8983 or visit SKSFcolorado.org.